Bishop’s Waltham is a historic market town with a long and exciting history which has continued forward to the present day, displayed by a thriving town centre and a strong community; there is much to see and do.
The High Street includes a wide range of independent shops, choice of restaurants, coffee shops, delicatessens and pubs, plus a range of local businesses. View the Bishop’s Waltham Pocket Guide
here.Explore the surroundings
: Our excellent guide Exploring Bishop’s Waltham
shows all the public footpaths in the parish and includes three interesting circular walks in the countryside. You can also find two additional walks between Bishop's Waltham and Botley published by the Hampshire Rights of Way Improvement Trust here
: The Southdown National Park Authority guide, Cycle Ride around Bishop’s Waltham
gives details of a 20 mile route, much of it off-road, that encompasses local villages.
Many Events organised by local groups and organisations take place each year, details of these can be found in the Bishop’s Waltham Diary of Events
and Bishop’s Waltham Town Team - Love Bishop’s Waltham website
One of the main historical features is the Bishop’s Waltham Palace ruins, built around 1132 and home to many of Winchester’s Bishops and visited by several different Kings and Queens. In 1182 Henry II convened his Barons here, Richard the Lionheart stayed in 1194, Henry V prepared for the Battle of Agincourt in July 1415, and Queen Mary I waited for King Phillip to arrive from Spain for their Wedding in 1554.
Today, the Palace Grounds are open to the public – for more details see English Heritage website
and the 17th Century original Farmhouse is now the Bishop’s Waltham Museum; for more information check here
Alongside the Palace is the South Pond, created by bishops living in the Palace, which is now the centre for the Parish Fishing Club. Across the road is the North Pond which, due to dedication of the North Pond Conservation Group, has become an important community asset. Both Ponds are home to many different wildfowl who, on occasions, can bring the traffic to a halt when they go for a wander!
St Peter’s Church is another place of historic interest, having first had a building in 1136, followed by various changes, restorations, and repairs over the intervening centuries.