>> BW Abbey Mill Survey
Abbey Mill Survey
Abbey Mill - Preservation or Demolition?
Abbey Mill was built in
1862. For 40 years it was run by several
millers, two of whom, John Hague and John Edwards were also brewers. The Duke family took over the mill in 1902 and
ran the business there until transferring it to the old brewery site in Lower
Lane. Abbey Mill was then used for
offices until it was sold for redevelopment in 2005 to Barrett’s for housing
and then, in 2008, to Sainsbury’s for a superstore. The approved plan incorporated Abbey Mill as
a focal point of the proposed development to be an entrance-way, offices and
Sainsbury’s has now put
up the site for sale. The mill is not a
listed building and there is no guarantee that a future owner will keep it
Many local people would
like to see the Mill preserved as part of the Victorian heritage of Bishop’s
Waltham. However the building is
deteriorating rapidly and only a feasibility study will determine the best use for
a preserved building that would be acceptable in planning terms, and
economically viable. Alternatively, the
Mill could be demolished to make way for new residential developments,
commercial properties or community assets.
The Parish Council has
resolved to sponsor a public survey into the future of the Abbey Mill and to
share the results with any interested parties.
Survey forms have been delivered to all households and an on-line survey
is now running during September. A report
will be prepared and, depending upon the outcome, it will be held ready for the
Parish Council to offer to the new owners of the Abbey Mill site to initiate
discussions on the future of the Mill.
This survey has now closed. Thank you to everyone who took part in it. Please click here for the results of the survey.
The full list of responses can be found here.