Bishop’s Waltham is a historic market town with a long and exciting history which has continued forward to the present day, displayed by a thriving town centre and a strong community; there is much to see and do.
The High Street includes a wide range of independent shops, choice of restaurants, coffee shops, delicatessens and pubs, plus a range of local businesses.
There are many Events organised by local groups and organisations taking place each year, details of these can be found in the What's on Guide and on the Bishop’s Waltham Town Team website - Click here to view the Love Bishop’s Waltham website.
The Town Team comprises representatives from the following organisations:
- Bishop’s Waltham Society
- Bishop’s Waltham Museum Trust
- Bishop’s Waltham in Bloom
- Bishop’s Waltham Chamber of Trade
- Bishop’s Waltham Parish Council
- Winchester City Council
- Hampshire County Council
The Town Team are also joined from time to time by members of other local organisations such as Rotary, Bishop's Waltham Youth Club and the schools who very kindly input into our action plan.
There are a number of recreation grounds and play areas throughout the town.
One of the main historical features is the Bishop’s Waltham Palace ruins, built around 1132 and home to many of Winchester’s Bishops and visited by several different Kings and Queens. In 1182 Henry II convened his Barons here, Richard the Lionheart stayed in 1194, Henry V prepared for the Battle of Agincourt in July 1415, and Queen Mary I waited for King Phillip to arrive from Spain for their Wedding in 1554.
Today, the Palace Grounds are open to the public – for more details see English Heritage website and the 17th Century original Farmhouse is now the Bishop’s Waltham Museum.
Alongside the Palace is the South Pond, created by bishops living in the Palace, which is now the centre for the Parish Fishing Club. Across the road is the North Pond which, due to dedication of the North Pond Conservation Group, has become an important community asset. Both Ponds are home to many different wildfowl who, on occasions, can bring the traffic to a halt when they go for a wander!
St Peter’s Church is another place of historic interest, having first had a building in 1136, followed by various changes, restorations, and repairs over the intervening centuries.